MonaLisa Touch™ Treats These Common Female Symptoms
After menopause, when estrogen levels decline, many women experience changes that can really affect their quality of life. Symptoms include:
- Painful intercourse
- Vaginal dryness
- Vaginal burning
- Vaginal/vulvar itching
SCHEDULE YOUR CONSULTATION TODAY TO SEE IF YOU ARE A CANDIDATE.
MonaLisa Touch™ addresses these problems without systemic hormones or surgery. Dr. Michele Couri is thrilled to be the first physician in the greater Peoria region to offer this state of the art technology here at the Couri Center. It is ideal for pre-menopausal patients, post-menopausal patients, and breast cancer survivors who are often unable to receive conventional treatments for these debilitating symptoms.
MonaLisa Touch™ delivers gentle laser energy to the vaginal wall tissue that stimulates a healing response by generating new collagen, elastin, and vascularization. A typical course of treatment is three procedures over 18 weeks.
- In-office procedure
- Requires no anesthesia
- No downtime
- Minimal side effects
- Each treatment is <5 minutes
- FDA-cleared for gynecologic use
Reward Your Friends.
Give $30. Earn $30.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Even with the passage of time, many women still retain their youthful energy and enthusiasm, but post-menopausal changes can affect a woman’s quality of life in unexpected ways. Now, there is a gentle laser therapy that can help millions of women who are silently suffering.
The MonaLisa Touch™ is a gentle laser therapy that delivers controlled energy to the vaginal wall tissue. It restores vaginal health by generating new collagen, elastin, and vascularization. The MonaLisa Touch™ was first available outside the US where thousands of patients have been treated worldwide.
Dr. Mickey Karram, Director of Fellowship Program on Female Pelvic Medicine & Reconstructive Surgery at The Christ Hospital, Cincinnati, OH, and Dr. Eric Sokol, Associate Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the Stanford University Medical Center has completed a multisite study.
The trial assessed the use of CO2 fractional laser therapy on 30 women with vaginal health issues due to natural or induced menopause. All patients in the trial received MonaLisa Touch™ laser therapy. Results were:
- Overwhelmingly positive and immediate
- Highly statistically significant improvement in symptoms after the first treatment
- Escalation of progress with each subsequent treatment
- *Women in the study either experienced natural menopause or induced menopause as the result of hysterectomy or drug-induced suppression of ovarian function (chemotherapy, radiations, and anticancer drugs such as Tamoxifen).
Dr. Stefano Salvatore*, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Vita- Salute San Raffaele University completed a study to assess the feasibility of fractional C02 laser in the treatment of 50 women suffering changes in their gynecologic health.
84% showed significant improvement in their physical and mental quality of life scores over baseline and were satisfied with the treatment.
In addition to the multisite study, there are currently eight published studies with six ongoing studies.
The MonaLisa Touch™ is an in-office procedure that Dr. Michele Couri can perform right here at the Couri Center for Gynecology and Integrative Women’s Health, in Peoria, IL. Dr. Couri is the first physician in Central Illinois to offer this treatment.
The procedure is virtually painless and requires no anesthesia. Some patients may experience some discomfort when the probe inserted the first time, but the actual treatment is not painful. Many patients report that it feels like a gentle vibration.
Patients receive three treatments, spaced six weeks apart, which each take less than five minutes to perform.
The MonaLisa Touch™ is appropriate for any female suffering from issues from a decline in estrogen, as well as those who are experiencing symptoms as a result of a hysterectomy or breast cancer treatments, for any woman with vaginal atrophy due to physiological hormone changes, which become inevitable over time. In particular, MonaLisa Touch™ is the ideal treatment for those who are looking for a less invasive procedure, compared to traditional surgical or pharmaceutical treatments. Remember, no one can advise you better about MonaLisa Touch™ and what is best for you to achieve your best results than your doctor.
Most patients feel improvement after the very first treatment, although the procedure calls for three sessions spaced over an 18-week period.
Patients should expect to come back annually for their maintenance treatment to ensure results last over the course of time.*
*Your doctor will determine if follow up treatments are required.
Patients should refrain from sexual activity for 2-3 days. Your doctor will determine a post-procedure regimen that is right for you.
Yes, the MonaLisa Touch™ therapy is particularly well suited for patients who cannot, or prefer not to receive estrogen therapy.
There is no processing code for this procedure. We believe this is an investment in yourself and your quality of life. We gladly accept CareCredit.
There are some minimal risks. MonaLisa Touch™ is an outpatient treatment. Most women report temporary side effects, slight redness or swelling, some discomfort that usually disappears in one or two days.
The MonaLisa Touch™ Laser system has been FDA-cleared as safe for gynecologic use; however, it has not explicitly been FDA-approved for treatment of genitourinary syndrome of menopause (vulvovaginal atrophy) or painful intercourse. MonaLisa Touch™ laser therapy is documented as an appropriate and efficacious treatment for vaginal symptoms due to menopause in the medical literature.
MonaLisa Touch Pre-Treatment Instructions
The MonaLisa Touch® Laser stimulates new collagen production which helps to promote improved vaginal and vulvar health.
- Shower or bathe the morning of treatment so that the area to be treated is clean.
- Dress in loose fitting pants and cotton underwear on the day of treatment.
- You will be asked to empty your bladder immediately prior to being taken to treatment room.
- Procedures will be explained and consent forms will be signed.
- You will then undress from the waist down.
- Dr. Couri will perform a pelvic exam then she will apply a topical anesthetic called RectiCare® in the opening of the vagina and on the vulvar area prior to the laser treatment.
- Please bring a book or something to read while you relax and rest for 10-minutes to give the topical anesthetic time to numb the area.
- If you feel like you need to empty your bladder again, please let us know prior to starting the procedure. Your bladder should be empty.
- You, as well as everyone in the room, will then wear protective eyewear provided to prevent eye damage while the laser is in use.
- The internal laser will be performed first; it takes 5-10 minutes to complete. You should expect minimal discomfort. Most of the discomfort is caused from initially inserting the probe into the vagina.
- The external laser will be performed next; it takes 5-10 minutes to complete. You should expect minimal discomfort. If you have discomfort, Dr. Couri will apply more RectiCare® to numb the area again.
- Most patients resume normal activity, as tolerated, immediately after procedure.
- Wait 1-day before showering or bathing and avoid the use of hot water until treated area is completely healed.
- Avoid exercise for 3-4 days after procedure.
- Avoid sexual activity for 7 days after procedure.