November 1, 2016
- 2 sweet potatoes (cleaned and cut in half lengthwise)
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 carrot (chopped)
- 2 stalks celery (chopped)
- 1 red pepper (chopped)
- 1 poblano pepper (chopped)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 3 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup peanut (or almond/cashew) butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 handful peanuts (or almond/cashew) (roasted and chopped)
- Cilantro (chopped)
- Brush the skins of the potatoes with the olive oil and set cut side down on a baking tray.
- Roast in a preheated 400 F oven until tender, about 40-60 minutes.
- Heat the canola oil in a pan.
- Add the onions, carrots, celery and peppers and sauté until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about a minute.
- Scoop the flesh from the sweet potatoes skins and add it to the pan along with the broth and peanut butter. (Note: Sweet potatoes can be stringy- you may spin in your food processor to smooth them out.)
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Feel free to use an immersion blender to bring the soup to the consistency that you like.