Do you have a relative with cancer? Knowing your personal and family history of cancer is the first step in determining if you might be at increased risk for cancer.
I am pleased to announce a new, elective screening tool available to our valued patients – Myriad MyRisk Genetic Testing. This simple, in-office blood test screens for genetic mutations that may put you at a higher risk for developing various types of cancer. Myriad MyRisk looks at multiple genes that impact inherited risks for eight important cancers – breast, ovarian, uterine, gastric, colorectal, pancreatic, prostate and melanoma. Research has shown that up to 10 percent of cancers are due to factors that are passed from one generation to the next. These syndromes are known as hereditary cancers.
We know that most cancers occur in people who do not have a strong family history of cancer. This is called a ‘sporadic’ cancer. In some families, we see more of the same kind or related kinds of cancers than the general population – this is called a ‘familial’ cancer. But in those families with hereditary cancer, the cancer risk is passed down through generations by inheriting an altered gene, which increases the risk to develop cancer. This is precisely what Myriad MyRisk is testing for. The steps are as follows:
- At your yearly exam, you will receive a six-question survey to complete. It is a yes / no questionnaire to screen if you are a candidate for testing.
- If you answer yes to any of the questions, you are eligible.
- At the end of your visit, you will be escorted to a private room to watch a brief, 3-minute video from Myriad that elaborates on genetic testing.
- At the conclusion of the video, you have complimentary access to speak with a genetic counselor via phone conference to answer absolutely any questions you may have.
- Blood testing is collected in our lab and sent for analysis. The results will take approximately 4-6 weeks to return and a consultation will be scheduled to review in detail.
Our goal with offering this genetic screening is to not only identify genetic mutations, but to also screen patients for personal risk factors that may put you at higher risk for cancer. As your partner in healthcare, we are devoted to help you lower your risk for developing cancer with modifiable lifestyle changes including diet, exercise, improved hormone metabolism, and stress reduction. Our team-based approach to helping our patients is created by a unique blend of physicians, advanced practice providers, and a registered dietitian/personal trainer. We are here to help personalize your management plan. Please ask your provider any questions about Myriad MyRisk Genetic Testing.
Hope Placher, PA-C